WO advisory panel member Nhung Brandenburg, OD, FAAO, Dipl. ABO, offers her best advice on motivating others.
1. Learn from experienced, successful leaders. Good mentors are great examples and good resources for honing ideas and strategies.
2. Involve others in your plan. People are much more motivated to serve and volunteer if they are part of the plan and feel that their ideas are heard and incorporated.
3. Allow others to lead alongside you. People are willing to work harder if they are more responsible for implementing the plan.
4. Have a set plan, with clear goals, strategies and quality/success measurements, agreed upon by everyone involved.
5. Give lots of positive feedback. Everyone likes encouragement and praise for their work.