Home News POP-UP POLL: Who's Minding the House? - RESULTS

POP-UP POLL: Who’s Minding the House? – RESULTS

In nearly half (47 percent) of women ODs’ households, the division of labor in household chores is almost evenly split, report women ODs. But in the the remaining 53 percent of these households, women ODs say they’re doing more of the work. In terms of direct child care duties, a majority (53 percent) of female ODs who have children say that they and their spouses/partners split the child care duties about 50/50. Another 7 percent say that their spouse or partner handles the majority of these tasks, and 39 percent said they manage at least 75 percent of the direct child care.

Fewer male ODs responded to the poll, but of those who did, 67 percent said that their spouses do almost all or about 75 percent of the household duties. The remaining 33 percent is split between those male ODs who say they do either half of the housework or almost all of it.

In terms of direct child care duties, 57 percent of the male ODs said that their spouses did at least 75 percent of the duties, and another 14 percent said their spouse handles almost all of the child care. Twenty-nine percent of male ODs responding said they split child care duties about 50/50. Two-thirds of the men said they are content with the division of labor and one-third said they’re neutral about it.

Below are the results for all participants, women and men, OD and non-OD.

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Women In Optometry Announces Student Advisory Board

In order to be representative of those ODs who will be entering the workforce in the next few years, Women In Optometry has created...

A Retreat for The Eyes

When patients step inside Allure Eyecare, they may get the feeling that they’re no longer in Bloomington, Indiana. The leafy Martinique wallpaper, made famous...

Eyewear Artwalk 2024 Unveils the Dry Eye Oasis: A Groundbreaking Hub for Dry Eye Education & Solutions

Eyewear Artwalk, a rapidly accelerating showcase for eyewear and eye care innovation, is set to revolutionize the landscape of eye care with the introduction...

Bringing Nutrition Into the Conversation With Every Patient

Neda Gioia, OD, CNS, FOWNS, CFMP, and Julie Poteet, OD, MS, CNS, FOWNS, are passionate about educating patients about nutrition. It's an underdiscussed topic with...